Home Forums General Discussion Breeding pens and regular pens.

17 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Anonymous 4 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I recently moved to a new location and will be building pens to keep pairs and individuals. My main question is what is the minimum size a breeding pen should be for a pair? What about an individual? The way I had them housed before was wrong and I want to start fresh with new and correct guidance. Thanks in advance!

Kenny Troiano
      Keymaster
      @maximustroy2

Well, the bigger, the better. But, as far as the minimum size, 4×8 for pairs and individuals, and 6×8 for trios.

However, I like 6wx8Lx8h for single matings (stud-mating), and 8x8x8 for group matings (pen-matings). I even have a number of pens that are 6wx12Lx6h, which I like a lot. And, a few pens that are 10wx10Lx6h.

I’m getting ready to build new brood pens at my farm, and plan to make them 8wx8Lx8h

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I see, any smaller than that and it affects health and egg productivity I assume? I’ve also heard that the perches shouldn’t be too high because it could hurt their soles and they could get bumblefoot, do you think think there’s credit to that?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

The Roost should be high enough to force them to use their wings but not too high that would cause injury. It is also determined by the age and weight of the birds. Older birds are heavier and are more prone to bumble foot. I like roost that are 4ft min. and 6ft max.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Perfect, thanks so much for the info Mr. Troiano! Now to figure out how many of these pens I need to make at our new place! Very excited to see them finished and with birds in them, just need to figure out how many birds I need to try and hatch to have enough for selection. I assume there needs to be a high amount of chicks? Taking in consideration how many won’t make it or will need culled. Not to mention critters which I always keep my fingers crossed and hope to keep a close eye on everything!

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

A general rule of thumb is – figure out how many pens you need, and add 6 more. You will never have enough, lol!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

That’s exactly what I was afraid of lol!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Would you build your fly pens 8x8x8 also?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

No, I like fly pens that are 4 ft wide by 8 ft long and 8 ft high. 

Make then so they can see the cocks on both sides by can’t reach them.

This will make him fly up and down from the roost to get exercise.

I even like swinging roost.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Do you still prefer to have the roost at about five feet tall

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

4 to 6 feet for gamefowl is a good hight for a roost. Just make sure the ground is soft.

However, if the cock is old or heavy, this could be a bit high. Keep an eye on their foot pads, and watch for Bumble Foot.

the idea is to keep them active

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I’m drawing out my first individual breeding pens as well for large Orpingtons. This was very helpful as far as size. Do you find a nipple waterer is helpful that runs the full width through the pens is a good idea?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

I have not used them myself, but I know a number of breeders that love them. some day I will try it out.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Ok thank you. Im going to plan on installing it then.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Sounds Good! Let us know how well they work out.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Kenny, you mentioned before on several podcasts about your thick litter.  Can you describe the layers that you use for all around health, smell, and disease prevention?

Thank you

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Sure, I’m always throwing, grass clippings, shredded branches, horse manure, and hay in the pens. When the litter gets too high, I will take only 2/3rds out. I will turn the soil that’s left and start over with the deep litter. The litter creates microbes that improve immunity and aids in raising healthy fowl. The smell is never a problem as long as you keep adding new grass, branch shreds and horse manure.

special note: I make sure the horse are healthy and I dry the manure real good before I use it.

Hope that helps,

Kenny

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Yes sir. I know several guys that start with a base of sand. I’ve added grass clippings and horse manure for years as my parents raise quarter horses. What are your thoughts on the sand for drainage?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.