Home Forums General Discussion chicken identification hacks.

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by Michael Muenks 2 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Here are some of my ideas for identification of individual birds, matings, pens etc.

Here are the tools I use to mark chicks. A small pig ear notcher (notches don’t grow in like punches can). An adjustable leather punch for thin leather. It is good for chick of various sizes so a smaller hole can be made in a bantam. I like to make a relatively large hole then snip a slit to prevent it from healing closed. I alternate the notches and punches from year to year to help identify their age. The scissors are called ”squizers” and are great for notching nostrils. I only cut a notch, not cut off the whole nostril tissue. Looks cleaner and is still easily identified. Using the nostril notch increases the number of individual marks possible.

Michael Muenks
      Participant
      @bantamhill

I really appreciated seeing this set of tools and identification methods. I deal with mostly bantam Ameraucana and have struggled with good ways to mark bantam chicks as they come out of the hatcher in their pedigree bags. I’ve had epic fails with little leg bands, no luck with wing bands on the little tykes (I do have success with them on peachicks and large fowl chicks), and have mostly resorted to brooding bantam chicks with of color varieties together from clans to save space and for efficiency sake. On the farm I use three colors for my families (orange, green, blue). The best strategy I have come up with is to raise the orange clan chicks from the different color varieties together until they are large enough for leg bands. Sometimes that is still really inefficient because I may only have a small hatch and less than 10 chicks from orange clans across the varieties of bantams. A fellow Ameraucana breeder uses toe web clipping instead of punching for his bantams and reports good results.

I would love to hear what strategies others use for bantam, mini, and smaller size chicks when it comes to identifying them right out of the hatcher.

Thanks!

Michael

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.