Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

will be line bred to hen mother next season pure joe goode.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

this is a picture of harold brown seed fowl old picture but this is how they look.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @
      1. this is my favorite second generation harold brown stag.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

these are the hybrid goode/harold browns with the look i want to try to achieve. They are built more like the harold browns even most of the same features except with white legs this stag also has black spurs which i like.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

these are more pure harold browns with pullets coming buttermilk color, which id like to make a like of.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

i have seen them come this color too but so far i havent been lucky enough to get one come like this if i do and she is built right id definitely make a line or try to make a line of these too.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

hey guys let me know what yall think of them and making a family with this hybrid.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I also have a question i was wondering why when i bred white leg cock on green leg hens all offspring were white legged, but when i bred green leg cock on white leg hen stags were white and yellow legged and pulleta where green? I understand why some came yellow and pullets were green legged but why such a different outcome than other cross?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Great fowl, you definitely have good birds to work with. I would go with the green leg color if it were me, being that its the recessive color and the easiest to make pure. They also have a good olive colored legs, not willow colored (light green). But if you really want to go with the white legs, it is doable. It will just take some time. 

The reason all the legs came white (white legged cock to green legged hen) is because the white leg is the dominant trait, while the green leg is the recessive trait. when ever there is a homozygous pure dominant it will be expressed. 

In the second breeding – “bred green leg cock on white leg hen – stags were white and yellow legged and pullets where green” is because the hen carries the dominant trait, which is also a sex-linked trait, which means, she can only pass her leg color to her stags but not the daughters. Therefore, the daughter gets her fathers color.

That is another reason I would go with the green legs, you would not need to deal with sex-linked traits. 

Here is a diagram I used to determine your leg color results. Soon I plan to do a video on how to do this on leg color and other traits. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I did keep the best looking green leg pullet in case i decided to go that route im just afraid they will throw blue legs which i dont like. But ill check out those courses thank you mr Kenny.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Hey Brooks,

No problem there, The blue leg is connected to the white legs, not the green leg. If you go Green, all the other leg colors is go away, forever. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

When breeding a pure strain is it better to breed half brother sisters or full brother sisters when inbreeding in the founders program? Lets say you started with a trio of seed fowl same breed but not nest brothers and sisters then bred them their offspring is what im asking?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

In the Founders Program, in the second phase of the program (inbreeding), it is best to breed full brother to full sister. The goal is to concentrate the genes, and fix or lock in the traits that are important. Don’t start the line-breeding program until that is accomplished. 

Seed fowl can be related or not related. They have one job, to begin the line. You will never breed to them again. 

did I understand you correctly?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Kenny Troiano.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Yes that answered my question. Thank you

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Half brother to buttermilk pullets. I feel he is the color that might throw more like them even though all his sisters were silver.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

This is my favorite one this season. Going to inbreed to 2 best silver sisters but single mated. He has the mascara eyes which i rly like.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

This is favorite full brother to buttermilk color pullets.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

I think this stag has the best color, but his brother’s conformation is better.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

another full brother to buttermilks

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

another brother

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Which do you feel would be the one to breed to make line of buttermilk pullets?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

I believe this stag has the better conformation of body, and has a great chance of throwing the colored pullets you are interested in. Just make sure to breed him to his sisters that are expressing that color.

My only concern is, the color of hens/pullets may in time ruin the color of the cocks/stags. That hen color will eventually dirty up the silver ducking color of the males. You should avoid the red-ish / rust color showing up in the wing bows.

To maintain the right color of the Cocks (silver duckwing), and the desired color of the hens, you will need to use a mating and breeding process called “Double Mating”. This will require you to maintain a cocks line and a hens line.

Double mating is the process of using two lines to create ideal males and ideal females separately. The problem with this type of mating is that it results in a splitting of the strain. American Games, because the hens are a different color than the cocks (known as sexually dimorphic), are ideal for Double Mating.

Go to this link:  (PROPER SILVER DUCKWING COLOR)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Kenny Troiano.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

The stag you said has better color? And also i will be making lines of these greys using silver pullets to would this be conidered a line to maintain  cocks proper color? Ill definitely adjust my plans if the buttermilk pullets dont produce offspring up to my standards. And also might be just a awkward picture of the better colored stag

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

From what I can see, this stag has good color. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Good looking birds Brooks!  Kenny does have a point the green legs look nice. I am also fond of white legs so I understand that also.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Im still going to breed the green leg greys also, basically im trying to replicate my green leg greys only keeping the leg color and maybe white streamers of the whitle leg grey family and hopfully temperament as well. My green leg greys are and will always be my favorite.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

You see i have 2 grey familys 1 reg grey (harold browns) and 2 white leg greys (joe goodes). Last season i crossed these 2 familys both ways. I have 6 stags and 2 pullets from each opposite cross total of 12 stags and 4 pullets left after culling to this point. Ill call the reg grey cock over white leg grey hen cross (A), and ill call the white leg cock over reg grey hen cross (B).  On cross (A) all pullets were green leg and stags were white and pale yellow. On cross (B) all offspring were white legged. Its still early to choose but ive got my eyes on a few of them that are looking good. I find that cross (B) has the pullets im looking for and even though i may do a brother sister mating with cross (B), it is the stags in cross (A) that im leaning towards this season because besides the white and yellow legs they look exactly like the pure reg greys. Id breed the best (A) stag to best (B) pullet and maybe the next year after id do a brother sister mating when they are looking right. At least thats what im thinking presently.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

this is a stag from cross (A) when they were around 4 months old.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Got you. That’s cool. Heard a lot about them ole school Goodes.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Im starting to think i may use the white legged greys im going to create with the green leg blood in them as my white leg greys and my pure larry romero harold browns as my green leg family. Instead of keeping both green, white,and the other white im trying to create. Therefore it would be more like the black pearls are to youre maximus line.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Hey Brooks, I don’t see a problem with that. The only breeding that would be unreversible would be Green to Green. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Would breeding a brother that is white legged to a green leg sister make it harder to work towards white leg side? I ask because I’ve gotta rly nice green leg sister  and none out of particular matting where white leg pullets. I was thinking of breeding the wl stag to a wl pulletof another batch of same blood but different parents. I’m focusing on wl for these breedings. I know that will throw gl even with wl on both sides just wondering if it would hurt or make it even more difficult.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Whenever you are trying to perfect a dominant trait, such as white leg, you should always breed to the dominant trait. However, you never want to sacrifice conformation of body or quality for color. Color is always last. If that hen is really nice, and miles better than the other hens, then I would breed the really nice hen and deal with color down the road.

You can breed the stag to his mother, as long as the mother is a good representative of your ideal bird.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Or should I breed this stag to his pure wl mother than take those offspring and breed to my pure gl line like how you made the black Pearl’s? Would that maybe help lock in wl ?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

So how about breeding this wl stag to a wl pullet of same bloods but different parents. Would that be a better route for me?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

There is no problem with breeding cousins. If you want to perfect and maintain the white leg color, and you don’t have a lot of birds to select from, this is a good way to go. This will at least keep you from introducing outside blood. And that’s a good thing.

Breeding cousins is still inbreeding, just more distant inbreeding.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Nice looking Greys brooks

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.