Home Forums Genetics and Laws of Inheritance Understanding the benefits and use of a Punnett’s Square.

14 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Kenny Troiano 5 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Kenny Troiano
      Keymaster
      @maximustroy2

I found a great video on how to determine the results of a cross between two traits. This is by using a Punnett’s Square. The Punnett’s Square is an essential tool for determining the purity of your fowl, and determining the result of a mating with two birds, both having contrasting traits.

In the video he uses the example of two different colored flowers (purple and white, designated as PP and pp), but I want to think of this as the crossing of two birds, one with Pea Comb (PP) and the other with Single Comb (pp).

A Punnett’s Square will show the results a pure fowl, or fowl that are not pure for a specific trait. This works with any traits that are dominant or recessive, sex-linked traits, and traits that are incomplete dominant or co-dominant.

If you have any questions, be sure to ask me.

Just go to:

https://americangamefowlbreedersacademy.com/video-library/

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I think im underestimating this now. This is why you said it would be easier to go to the green legs because you know they are pure for it. If i select white legs 1 out of 3 will be pure so it will take longer because ill have to use trial and error to breed the right ones so that the green legs disappear.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Kenny Troiano.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Right, but not so much of trial and error, but using the progeny test to find the pure whites.

But remember, the green is recessive, it can be hidden in time, but never completely eliminated. 

I’m very happy to see you using the Punnett’s Square. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

If the hens are straight combed then you need to use the designation “ss” for her, not “Ps”.

Ps means she is expressing the Pea Comb, but is not pure for pea comb. Therefore she is Heterozygous for the Pea Comb trait. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

This would be right if both parents were expressing the Pea Comb trait, but were not pure for that trait. Therefore they would be Heterozygous for the Pea Comb trait. This breeding, as you can see from your equations, would give you 3 pea combs, and 1 straight comb. 25% would be pure for the pea comb trait and 25% would be pure for the straight comb trait. And 50% would be pea combed, but not pure for the pea comb trait. 

Good Job!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I need to watch the videos a few more times to comprehend it fully but can punnett squares explain why pure grey cocks produce all grey offspring when crossed to red hens but not the opposite  way crossing red cock on grey hens?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Id like to know if you can still use punnetts squares for sex linked genes. To figure out the genes if you were to take the F2 red cock and breed to a pure grey hen. What would be the ratio of characteristics of the offspring?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

The diagram you shared here shows exactly what that ratio would be. If you use a Punnett’s square, do it the same, but use supercsrips, Such as ZSZS crossed to ZrW. The best time to use a Punnett’s square to determine Sex-linkage is when the parents are not pure for the traits they are expressing, not so much for pure traits. But this diagram show you the answer you are seeking. In the F1 generation the stags will be silver and the pullets will be red.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Is the F2 red cock pure for the hatch traits at this point or is it just sex linked genes?

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

Whenever you see a cock with a red plumage, they are pure for Red plumage. The red is recessive to all other colors.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I know the stags would be grey and pulkets red but wouldnt they have a chance for red pullets as well because of the cock carrying sex linked grey genes.

Kenny Troiano
        Keymaster
        @maximustroy2

I’m not sure what your question is here.

Breeding a red cock to grey hen, the diagram is 100 percent accurate.

If the Cock is pure for Grey and the hen is red, both the stags and pullets will be grey.

If the cock is heterozygous grey (not pure) then he can pass the red plumage trait to his sons and daughters. But it’s the hen who determines which traits on the sex-chromome is passed to her sons. She passes no traits from the sex-chromosomes to her daughter.

I hope this helps.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.